This webinar will briefly cover the following topics:
- Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management (Framework Agreement)
- First Nations Land Management Act (FNLMA)
- Role of the Lands Advisory Board and the Resource Centre
- Member Communities
- Differences between the Framework Agreement and the Indian Act
- Benefits of the Framework Agreement
Meko Nicholas is Welastekokewin (Maliseet) from the Nekwotkok (Tobique) First Nation in New Brunswick. Meko is the Assistant Executive Director of the First Nations Land Advisory Board Resource Centre (LABRC) and works out of Fredericton, NB. He has worked with the LABRC since 1997 assisting First Nations to implement the Framework Agreement on First Nation Land Management.
Tania Bigstone, CLS, PEILS was employed with Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) for over 10 years in various roles within the cadastral services unit and land claims unit, with the last 5 years being the coordinator for the First Nations Land Management project. Upon leaving NRCan, she was hired as a consultant for the First Nations Land Management Resource Centre. For the past 6 years, Tania has been assisting those First Nations who are signatories to the Framework Agreement in relation to their land description and survey related issues, including managing the survey contracts that are issued by the Resource Centre.